Sunday, November 25, 2007

I was explaining the "perilous Paper" to my dad and I mentioned that I wanted to include Japanese internment and how racism was heightened throughout the country due to the message that newspapers projected. He told me that his foster mom was a direct victim of this racism, as she was put in an internment camp. Ironically, her brother was overseas serving in the US Military at the time. Everything was taken from her family. They had a productive farm in Fullerton, California, which they lost. They lost their house, all their money, and almost all of their possessions...none of which they ever saw again, forfeited to the government and white landowners. She was compensated with $20,000...which she used to take a trip to Japan.

Bottom line, Japanese-Americans were psychologically tortured with the help of newspapers because when you think about it, trusting readers are lemmings to their favorite journalist or to whatever stories spark the most controversy because humans are hungry for something to stir them up and give them something to talk about. If there is something interesting to talk about, the world is more connected by altercations in society, in this case, the "formidable" Japanese.

It seems to me like people come together in a stronger way when something bad happens, rather than when something good happens. For example, 9/11 brought America together in the strongest way I've seen it in my lifetime. when is the last time you saw people unite over something bigger than a football game?

1 comment:

arcohen said...

lindsey, your post reminds me of one of those surveys we did in class, that was like strongly disagree, disagree, agree or strongly agree and one of the last questions was one word to discribe partiotism and I immediately thought of tragedy, well I thought of 9-11 which led me to the overall umbrella of tragedy. I remeber for some long after 9/11/01 that American flag that was in the newspaper was posted everywhere in downtown Glencoe, I've still sen some, they are faded of course.Back to the point, I think your dad story just proved tragedy and patriotism and how they work together!