Monday, January 21, 2008

Hell is Chrome


I was listening to the song "Hell is Chrome" by Wilco and one verse reminded me of what we were talking about earlier in the semester about seasons:

The air was crisp
Like sunny late winter days
A springtime yawning high in the haze
And I felt like I belonged
Come with me

Winter was generally the "dark" season... but if it's a sunny late winter day, then that to me could be an optimistic turning point, heading for a brighter future. This "brighter future" could be part of a journey lead by the angelic woman from Manifest Destiny. We've been talking about "moving west" in our class lately, and I think that since McC spent most of his travels in the west, it could be where he belonged. "Come with me" figuratively billowed out of his decomposed remnants, saying, "'come with me'. Leave this life behind, because the 'springtime is yawning in the haze'." Not saying, you have to die in order to leave your life behind... but giving yourself a fresh start is more like it, because everyone is always in a constant search to find where they belong.

No comments: