Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Shoo fly, don't bother me: WASP Nation


I think America is too focused on WASPs (WhiteAngloSaxonProtestants). Some consider this social class to be the creme de la creme of society. Really, I couldn't care less. First off, why would someone want to associate themselves with a wasp. It sounds like something that a fly swatter could take care of.... or are they wasps because catching a fly is a hard thing to do? When I think of a fly, I think of a pesky bug in search for a little nibble of food. A fly in a fruit stand: Unfortunately, that fruit stand operator wouldn't want to share his/her sweets with that fly, so he/she'd do his/her best to shoo that pestering fly away... but they keep coming back because they know there's something to feed off of. This seems to be the social class that Chris McCandless made a dire effort to escape from. Just like I wouldn't want a fly away from my sandwich, the fruit vendor wouldn't want a fly on their produce, Chris wanted to repel those WASPs away from himself. He did everything he could to separate himself from that society. He went so far as to completely separate himself from society.I think his statements about society will continue to influence the world.

Here's a guy zemanta found who's taking a McC adventure:
.

No comments: